ESEIN HEALTH laboratory is one of the few laboratories in the nation to provide this type of specialty testing with results within 6-8 hours. This commitment by to provide testing results 2-3 times faster than other labs largely improves overall organ transplant outcome.
Most of patient samples tested are transplant patients and/or potential donors (living and cadaveric).
What is Serology?
Serology is the scientific study of blood serum. Serology in practice typically refers to the diagnostic identification of antibodies in the serum. These antibodies usually form from three causes:
- in response to an infection against a given microorganism
- in response against other foreign proteins. For example: In response to a mismatched blood transfusion
- in response to one’s own proteins. In instances of autoimmune disease
Serological tests may be performed for diagnostic purposes when:
- an infection is suspected
- patients suffer from rheumatic illnesses
- the need for situations such as checking an individual’s blood type arises.
Serology blood tests help to diagnose patients with certain immune deficiencies, such as X-linked agammaglobulinemia, associated with the lack of antibodies.
There are several serology techniques. The use of a particular technique is dependent upon the antibodies being studied. Techniques include ELISA, agglutination, precipitation, complement-fixation and fluorescent antibodies.
The Serology Laboratory performs serological testing on donor blood to determine the general acceptability of a donor’s organ to suitable recipient(s).
OPOs (Organ Procurement Organizations) are the primary beneficiaries of Serology Laboratory services. OPOs provide services that ensure the safe and reliable identification, retrieval, and distribution of organs for transplantation. There are 59 OPOs located throughout the United States.
TheSerology Laboratory (formerly operated by MNIT) provides lab services to ten OPOs and is the largest laboratory to provide OPO serology lab services in the country. The success of the lab is based on two tenets:
all OPO samples are conducted on a STAT basis, ensuring 6-8 hours Turnaround Time (TAT)
the customer service and communication is acclaimed as the best in the industry
How is this Serology Lab different from other clinical laboratories in the nation?
- We provide this service at a significantly faster TAT than other labs in the industry
- The quality of our work is markedly higher and performance is unparalleled in this industry
Our clients have the results they need to make informed decisions for their donors.